Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Veggie Burger

…eating a veggie burger, seriously! today i went to the v-spot for lunch, located on 5th ave in park slope (there a lot of great places to eat in the park slope/boerum hill area of brooklyn). though i didn’t enjoy last week’s vegetarian/vegan lunch experience i was willing to try something new and simple, a classic bacon burger (home-made veggie patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, tempeh bacon on a toasted whole wheat bun) and it came with a lentil soup on the side. i tried to keep the suspense going, so i started with the soup…i did not like it. it tasted very bland with a touch of salt. the soup came with a piece of whole grain bread; i only had enough soup to finish the bread and then put the soup to the side ready to devour my veggie burger. i took a bite…i took another bite, broke off piece of my tempeh bacon…i wanted to cry!! how could they destroy something so beautiful...so absolutely amazing??!!! it was horrible!!!! it tasted like bootleg chewy old plantains. Though I love plantains regularly, no one likes the stale plantains that sat in the pan of oil all day. it reminded me of old oily leather shoes! i took a few more bites willing myself to like this burger. when i went to the restaurant to pick-up the burger, the guy said that the patty contained black beans, lentils, potato, carrots; all things that i like. why didn’t i like this burger? in my 30 years, i think my brain has been programmed to think that anything with the name burger should be tasty meaty goodness with crispy bacon juice dripping from the sides of my mouth. i ate half of the burger and stopped there. i really tried my friends, but i couldn’t do it…i have become a vegetarian failure. after telling my friend about my veggie burger experience, she has volunteered to make one for me and I will take her up on her offer…’til then, no more veggie burgers for me!!!


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment