Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mussels Possilipo

...eating mussels in marinara sauce. lunch today was from mulino (5th ave, brooklyn), my boss's most favorite italian restaurant in brooklyn. i took a chance and ordered mussels as my appetizer. when i opened them, i looked at them with absolutely no clue of where to start, thankfully, my co-worker, rd, was kind enough to show me the proper way to eat mussles.
-use the empty shell to scoop the meat off of the attached shell
-scoop some sauce/gravy into the shell with the meat
-eat/drink/slurp the meat & sauce
-enjoy....or not!
i have never in my life slurped an ex-living thing out of a shell before. this kind of freaked me out but i powered through! it tasted like chicken fat dunked in the ocean!!!! this was the first time that i wanted a lemon to cut the oceany freshness. after eating three, they tasted even more fresh and though i didn't mind the consistency, i couldn't take the fresh taste. i gave the rest to my boss and moved on to my pizza margherita (sooo good!!) with a glass of chateau caffard medoc 2005 (i bought this for tc (my boss) for his birthday). this red wine is from bordeaux, france. it was full of red fruit, pleasant herb and currant tinged flavor...? yeah ok. it was a medium-bodied wine kinda tarty and dry with an aftertaste full of fruity flavor. i thought it was a great choice, thanks to the guy at fine wine of maryland! tc loved it and i enjoyed it as well!! it seems that i might be developing that classy, mature palette that tc was telling me about because i really enjoyed this bordeaux wine. i think i'm getting better at picking good bottles (with a lil help, of course), because, this one was definitely a good one!!!


xo

2 comments: